RE: RTFM questions (formally RE: PL/SQL)

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:17:02 -0800

yep,
but a lot of us I am sure do not have time to answer these types of questions whilst holding down a full time job.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
think this has gone a bit far anyway and I am sure Roland has been suitably chastised and even said himself that he went out and found the answer to his problem.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Nothing wrong with helping new guys but there must be a limit to how much help you can expect without doing any work or research yourself.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Lee

<FONT

  size=2><FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff>
<FONT

  size=2> -----Original
  Message-----From: JoJo Al-Zawawi
  [mailto:jojo_at_jojo-zawawi.com]Sent: 29 January 2002   15:41To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: RTFM questions (formally RE: PL/SQL)   No offense to
  anybody, but I think this is rather arrogant.  The list is for   anybody (unless the list owner decides it's just for experienced dba's). I am   brand new to Oracle, having just started learning it this week.  I can   easily foresee having what some might consider stupid or RTFM questions,   and being possibly unable to find the answer or having problems deciphering   the manual.  I myself am somewhat of a Word pro (and my vba code samples   page is the #1 ranked site of its kind on most major search engines) and I   help all kinds of newbies out on a Word list of which I am a member, as do all   the other members of the list.  Everybody on that list is extremely   gracious and nobody complains -- and the people with questions get the help   they need, with nobody sitting back going "boy are you stupid / lazy".  I   am hoping that I can get the same kind of help here, when I am ready for it,   that I and others give on other lists.
<SPAN

  class=870563415-29012002>
<SPAN

  class=870563415-29012002>--JoJo
<SPAN

  class=870563415-29012002>

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Craig MundaySent:   Monday, January 28, 2002 10:20 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RTFM questions (formally RE:   PL/SQL)
  The problem is that if you always ask the group for help, you   never learn where the information is within the manuals or other reference   documentation and the group also gets cluttered with trivia.   I agree with you that the list is here to help people and I   personally do not mind the odd naive question from a new DBA, but it is the   "...can't be bothered to look up the manual.." attitude that is most   frustrating.  When you ask the format of a command (for example) to the   list, you are potentionally asking 1000's of people the same question who will   all have to spend the time to filter these questions - we are all busy people   and I personally do not want to use my time in this way.  I'm sure you   can see that this is a much more expensive option than asking the person next   to you.
     Cheers, <FONT
  size=2>Craig.
  -----Original Message----- From:
  rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae [<A
  href="mailto:rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae">mailto:rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae]   Sent: Tuesday, 29 January 2002 2:55 PM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: RE: PL/SQL
  Why do you bother being on this List: The list is here to help   fellow DBA'S. Have you never said to one of your   collegues , what is the format of this command, or how   can I do that, when you simply cant be bothered to <FONT   size=2>look it up in the manual (either your busy or just down right   lazy): Sometimes this list is useful for just that. So   why dont u lighten up dude.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Received on Tue Jan 29 2002 - 11:17:02 CST