Re: Lookup Table Usage

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:44:02 -0800

   Thanks, Connor. Oh, did I enjoy the Master Class this past week. A couple of situations:

 14 people, including Millsap, Steve Adams, Jonathan Lewis, James Morle and what have you sitting around my oak table one evening when dinner is served. Most of the guys simply closed their laptops, placed the plates on top of the laptop, ate dinner while continuing to discuss important Oracle matters, then removed the plates, thanked for the dinner, re-opened the laptops and continued typing.

 Or one morning when Steve Adams and I are discussing South African the in my kitchen. Jonathan comes down the stairs with a towel around his neck. Doesn't say good morning. Doesn't say hello. Does say: "Did you know, that when you join 256 simple tables, the parse time with the RBO is 44 minutes and 22 seconds?". Steve replied: Good morning, Jonathan. Jonathan looked at us (very sleepy look), then said Good Morning and went to the showers.

 Or the look on the hotdog stand owner's face when we pulled up beside his hotdog stand at 2330 hours in a huge bus and people just kept coming out of the bus and ordering hotdogs. We had been there every night (Anjo insists) in growing numbers. I had promised to call ahead and tell him how many we would be on this special night. Well, I forgot. Bjarnes Polser, as it's called, will never be the same again.

 It was a fun week. You should have been there, Connor ;-).

 Mogens

 Connor McDonald wrote:

  Hello Mogens,TCH is the touch count.CheersConnorOT - enjoy JL's conference this week. --- Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk> wrote: > Andin 8i there's a column in x$bh which counts the

    number of times the buffer is touched (as I recall) called XNC orsomething?Rachel Carmichael wrote:

      you could turn auditing on on the table and count

      the number of times

        it was selected--- Whittle Jerome Contr NCI

        <Jerome.Whittle_at_scott.af.mil> wrote:

            Hi,Oracle 7.3.4 on Unix.The database has dozens of little lookup tables.

            I'd like to cache

                thoseused the most. Is there a way to see how often a

                table is queried?

                    Thanks,Jerry WhittleACIFICS DBANCI Information Systems Inc.jerome.whittle_at_scott.af.mil618-622-4145--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

                    http://www.orafaq.com

                        --Author: Whittle Jerome Contr NCI INET: Jerome.Whittle_at_scott.af.milFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051

                        FAX: (858) 538-5051

                            San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

                            access / Mailing

                                Lists

                                    E-Mail message

                                        'ListGuru') and in

                                            ORACLE-L

                                                (or the name of mailing list you want to be

                                                removed from).  You may

                                                    also send the HELP command for other information

                                                    (like subscribing).

                                                      =====Connor McDonaldhttp://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"__________________________________________________Do You Yahoo!?Everything you'll ever need on one web pagefrom News and Sport to Email and Music Chartshttp://uk.my.yahoo.com