RE: RTFM questions (formally RE: PL/SQL)

From: JoJo Al-Zawawi <jojo_at_jojo-zawawi.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:11:55 -0800

No offense to
anybody, but I think this is rather arrogant.  The list is for anybody (unless the list owner decides it's just for experienced dba's). I am brand new to Oracle, having just started learning it this week.  I can easily foresee having what some might consider stupid or RTFM questions, and being possibly unable to find the answer or having problems deciphering the manual.  I myself am somewhat of a Word pro (and my vba code samples page is the #1 ranked site of its kind on most major search engines) and I help all kinds of newbies out on a Word list of which I am a member, as do all the other members of the list.  Everybody on that list is extremely gracious and nobody complains -- and the people with questions get the help they need, with nobody sitting back going "boy are you stupid / lazy".  I am hoping that I can get the same kind of help here, when I am ready for it, that I and others give on other lists.
<SPAN

class=870563415-29012002>
<SPAN

class=870563415-29012002>--JoJo
<SPAN

class=870563415-29012002>

<FONT face=Tahoma

size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Craig MundaySent: Monday, January 28, 2002 10:20 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RTFM questions (formally RE: PL/SQL)
The problem is that if you always ask the group for help, you never learn where the information is within the manuals or other reference documentation and the group also gets cluttered with trivia. I agree with you that the list is here to help people and I personally do not mind the odd naive question from a new DBA, but it is the "...can't be bothered to look up the manual.." attitude that is most frustrating.  When you ask the format of a command (for example) to the list, you are potentionally asking 1000's of people the same question who will all have to spend the time to filter these questions - we are all busy people and I personally do not want to use my time in this way.  I'm sure you can see that this is a much more expensive option than asking the person next to you.
   Cheers, <FONT
size=2>Craig.
-----Original Message----- From:
rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae [<A
href="mailto:rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae">mailto:rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae] Sent: Tuesday, 29 January 2002 2:55 PM <FONT size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: RE: PL/SQL
Why do you bother being on this List: The list is here to help fellow DBA'S. Have you never said to one of your collegues , what is the format of this command, or how can I do that, when you simply cant be bothered to look it up in the manual (either your busy or just down right lazy): <FONT size=2>Sometimes this list is useful for just that. So why dont u lighten up dude.
-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
-- Author: <FONT
size=2>  INET: rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae
Fat City Network Services    -- (858)
538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists <FONT

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 29 2002 - 10:11:55 CST