RE: Slight OT : Size of MS SQLServer Databases

From: <antonio.belloni_at_hstern.com.br>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:50:38 -0800

Mark,

Thank you very much for you help.

Regards,
Antonio Belloni

                    "Mark Leith"

                    <mark_at_cool-to        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

                    ols.co.uk>           <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    Sent by:             cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.        Subject:     RE: Slight OT : Size of MS
SQLServer
                    com                  Databases

                    28/01/02

                    13:40

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hi Antonio

If the database is only 20-30 gig, then I don't think that you'll have any problems with SQLServer managing this - it's not "large" in real terms.

If you already know Oracle then (IMHO) the learning curve for SQLServer will
be fairly easy going (I've trained on both in this order too, and found it *very* easy to pick up). This is not to say that there won't be an outlay for training though..

You can connect an apache server to a SQLServer database (AH HA! This is freeware though ;P Even though it's bundled with Oracle..). You can't program with VBScript if you don't use IIS, but you aren't using this on your Oracle side of things, and it probably adds more to the learning curve.. Database connectivity to a SQLServer database through Apache is handled with the Perl DBI module, and the relevant DBD:: module. Note that DBD::Sybase is probably the way to go to get to SQLServer. They both share a common code base, and the Sybase driver is reputed to work better than the
SQLServer one.

Check out:

http://www.apache-asp.org/faq.html#How%20is%20databc9095df5

You can also use Tomcat as well AFAIK, and it most probably sets up in the same way as Apache.

I'd still push to go with MySQL though personally, it performs better, it's free, and you can run it on a LINUX server with Apache and the Perl DBD::MySQL module just as easily..

Just my Ģ0.02 - but hey, what do I know! ;P

HTH Mark

Author: Marin Dimitrov
  INET: marin.dimitrov_at_sirma.bg

Author: Mark Leith