RE: Hot backup and TEMP tablespace

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:50:32 -0800

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Mercadante, Thomas F wrote:

> Do you really want to be in the position of performing "extra"
> recovery steps just to save yourself some time during backups? Why
> stop at backing up the TEMP tablespace - why not the ROLLBACK
> tablespace - this could be dropped and re-created also...

You can't skip the tablespaces containing active rollback segments. You need them to roll back transactions that were uncommitted as of the time up to which you want to recover your database.

> My point (as a professional DBA) is that, backups should be intact so that
> you can recover easily without having to do "extra work". It is really one
> less thing to remember and have to worry about.

If well documented and/or automated, I say that it is a legitimate way to save resources, especially if there is a very large temporary tablespace, especially if the majority of users are not big sorters. You could create a small (1Gb) temp tablespace right after opening the recovered dtabase, then assign all users to it. Meanwhile, you can create a large temporary tablespace and assign any large sorters to that when it gets done.

I think skipping TEMPORARY tablespaces is a good idea if you iron out the recovery steps. It really isn't complicated or much extra work.

You also mentioned skipping indexes in your backups, as though it were an unreasonable thing to do. I think that's a good idea too, if someone deems it appropriate and managable. I guess you'd have to dump the DDL for all indexes with every backup, and you'd have to veryify it is actually faster to rebuild them than to restore.

RMAN solves problems like disk space and backing up free space, and is a great utility. But is the cost of implementation worth it, if the original poster is going to successfully buy a couple years with the existing system, just by skipping TEMP?

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

Author: Jeremiah Wilton