RE: Overhead of over sized datafiles

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <Thomas.Mercadante_at_Labor.State.Ny.Us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 05:56:05 -0800

I don't think the oversized file will hurt your database in any way.

The cost will be in increased backup time, and of course, the total waste of 500M of disk space for the life of the database.

If this is a development database, and your developers are busy writing stored packages, then leaving extra space in the system tablespace is a good idea, as they will be using that space (although 500M is a LOT!). If it is a production database, I would shrink it back down so that there is about 100Meg of available space in the tablespace. Anything more than that is a waste.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: Thomas.Mercadante_at_Labor.State.Ny.Us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jan 28 2002 - 07:56:05 CST