COPY vs. OCOPY on NT

From: Thomas B. Cox <tbcox23_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:44:04 -0800

Your point is (I believe) that the Oracle data files are opened writeable by Oracle at instance startup time. When you use the NT command "COPY" it will prevent additional writers, but not those writers that are already holding write locks.

My comments and questions are:

  1. This used to fail with an error in previous versions of Oracle and NT that I've worked with.
  2. I'd be curious if multiple DB writers could cause a problem with your setup.
  3. If a COPY fails/dies holding its lock, can I re-start either the COPY of Oracle without rebooting or manually clearing the lock?
  4. You have demonstrated that the statement "COPY will always fail" is false. But we're not yet at "COPY will always work" -- and that could be a problem.

Cheers.
 -Tom

Thomas B. Cox "Saepe in errore sed numquam in dubito" tbcox23@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/tbcox23/

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." --H.L. Mencken

Do You Yahoo!?
Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions! http://auctions.yahoo.com
Author: Thomas B. Cox
  INET: tbcox23_at_yahoo.com