Ang: Re: Unisx question

From: <Roland.Skoldblom_at_ica.se>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:29:22 -0800

Well doesthat answer reply to the question: I have for instance this script

/konto/load.sh

that line is included in the main unix script and I want it to be logged if that script( load.sh ) doesnt start at all.

which is includedin the main unix

Thanks

Roland

Steven Lembark <lembark_at_wrkhors.com>@fatcity.com den 2002-01-26 23:40 PST

Sänd svar till ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sänt av: root_at_fatcity.com

Till: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Kopia:

> Hallo,
>
> Can anyone give me a good script on how to create a logfile in unix
> directory if a file(a script) in this script is not executed?

Not a very clear question. If you need to check whether something completes then have the code write out a pidfile when it starts and unlink it on the way out. A second process can check for the pidfile at a later time; if the file is present then check for the process still running. If the process croaks before the unlink you will find a pidfile that contains a non-running process [leaving out the rather unlikely case that your pid's wrap].

e.g.,

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $pidfile = $rundir . '/' . basename $0;

open my $pidfh, '>', $pidfile

    or croak "$pidfile: $!";

print $pidfh "$$\n";

close $pidfh;

# do things...

unlink $pidfile

    or croak "unlink $pidfile: $!";

-

__END__ A second process can then look for the pidfile (e.g., /var/run/blah.pid), open it and scream for help if the file is present and the pid doesn't refer to a running process.

You are nearly always better off having the process that ran whatever the sql is checking for itself, however, since any external method runs into various logic races rather quickly.

enjoi.

                                            +1 800 762 1582
Author: Steven Lembark
  INET: lembark_at_wrkhors.com