RE: Operating system choice

From: Kimberly Smith <ksmith2_at_myfirstlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:12:24 -0800

I will start by saying that I prefer Unix but I am not actually a Microsoft hater per say (despite some of my comments).

You get much more control over the performance of a Unix machine to tune it to the particular purpose of the apps running on it. I feel its more easily expandable. With the exception of some patches you can install software on the box without needing to reboot it. Only one person can sign on to an NT box but that is not the case with Unix.

In our case Unix has been much more reliable but that could be due to the administrators. That being said, I do not think that NT is any easier to administer then Unix. Sure if you just install the OS and then do nothing to improve it its easier but when you have fully loaded, busy systems, you need to be real careful in NT.

Author: Kimberly Smith
  INET: ksmith2_at_myfirstlink.net
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat Jan 26 2002 - 12:12:24 CST