Re: SMON - Does it cause a degrade?

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_chase.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:48:43 -0800

Okie. To be more specific. This is a siebel application running against a 7.3.4 database. So the 8i features for space management are out of the question. Second, there are large tables with varied values for initial and next extent in the tablespace. There are also going to be temporary tables created and dropped during a data load. I know for sure this tablespace is going to be badly fragmented. Hence, I was suggesting that pctincrease be set to 1 at the tablespace level so that SMON could coalesce the adjacent free extents. But the other side was of the opinion that SMON could cause a performance degrade. I needed to confirm this.

The answer that I was looking for was: Is SMON resource intensive? Melissa directed me to a note on Metalink which said they could be. Could hog the CPU, and hold ST enqueue locks on the data dictionary space transaction tables. The bosses always want to see it on paper, saying Oracle says so.

And to update you guys further, I had my say. Got two tablespaces. One were all extents are going to be of 128M and another where they will be 256M. Chosen to be multiples of block_size*db_multiblock_read_count. And a pctincrease of 0 at the tablespace level, which obviusly I dont mind now.

Thanks everybody. Now gotto go and do something interesting ;-)

Raj

Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>@fatcity.com on 01/25/2002 07:16:06 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

Why the heck would you set pctincrease to anything but 0 at the tablespace level. All you need is one table, created without storage parameters and you are fragmented.

Try "Stop Defragmenting and Start Living"... what you want to do is exactly what your DBA said, with the addition of either local management (in which case, pctincrease is moot) or at least "minimum extent" on the tablespace. Create all tables in the tablespace with NO storage clause, let it default to the tablespace's storage parameters.

This does several things:

  1. you don't have to worry about storage parameters when creating tables
  2. all extents will be the same size or a multiple of each other -- so NO fragmentation

Then you don't have to worry about the silly batch job either and can go on and do something much more interesting.

Do You Yahoo!?
Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions! http://auctions.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com