Re: performance problem with partitioned table query.

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:57:03 -0800

Strange, I'd expect, that dropping 12 partitions should speed up the query.

Still partitioning helps only if column, used for partitioning, is specified as one your search criteria, or if you do full table scan in parallel, or in maintenance when you can quickly drop a partition instead of deleting rows. Otherwise, it can only slow down your retrievals. Why did you partition your table at all? And, why did you partition by this particular column "poid_id0"?

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

> Thank you Igor. But only 1 of the 14 partitions contains data during all
the tests. Why should the extra 13 empty partitions slows down the query? I also tried to drop 12 of the empty partitions. Results didn't change. -Jessica

Author: Igor Neyman
  INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com