Re: Operating system choice

From: bill thater <bthater2_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:11:56 -0800

Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us wrote:

>thing, but I also worry about the stability and availability of my database
>that I would be presenting to my customers. If anyone has any insights,
>statistics, facts or links to documentation presenting such, I'd sure
>appreciate the help.

i can only relate my personal experience. i had troubles with 7.3.4 on NT 4.0 when the datafiles got beyond about 1GB in size. we got lots of read errors, disk IO errors and crupted blocks. but that was on one instance and one server. that's the only experience i've had with NT.

all my other experience has been on unix and VMS, and i've never had any problems other than hardware failures and user error.;-)

Bill "Shrek" Thater              ORACLE DBA
                bthater2_at_netscape.net
You gotta program like you don't need the money,
You gotta compile like you'll never get hurt,
You gotta run like there's nobody watching,
It's gotta come from the heart if you want it to work.
An old friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a dead body.   -
Jim Haye

Author: bill thater
  INET: bthater2_at_netscape.net