RE: More Rman q's

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:24:41 -0800

Jack,

  The auxiliary database is the clone of the target database (Oracle really should have called this parameter SOURCE instead of TARGET). It (the auxiliary) is the one you are creating.
  The auxiliary database should be started nomount. The only files needed for the auxiliary are the init.ora and password file.

Jay

>>> nlzanen1_at_EY.NL 01/25/02 05:10AM >>>

Hi,

Am I misreading all this, but should the auxiliary database be in existence before I can Clone to it?

I created the init.ora and all directories and started TEST3 in nomount. I created the password file and can connect to it with a connect string no problem.

Another point is. Did you mean that the auxilliary database is the database that needs to be cloned (source)?

Jack

"Jay Hostetter" <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com> on 23-01-2002 15:41:35

To: <John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net>, <nlzanen1_at_EY.NL>, <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

John and Jack,

  I guess I didn't read Jack's info closely enough, since he states that his auxiliary database is already started nomount. I wonder if the three separate connect statements are the issue? When I duplicate a database, I use the following commands from the OS:

>rman target internal/xxx_at_original catalog rman/xxx_at_rman1 auxiliary /
rman>@prod_to_test
rman>exit

My ORACLE_HOME and SID are set for the auxiliary database. I have started the auxiliary database NOMOUNT, which basically just starts the background processes. Password files are required for the remote login (this is on a different server). I don't use db_file_name_convert or log_file_name_convert, because I group the data files differently on this server (I don't have the exact same number of file systems as production). After I have RMAN started, I do the following:

run {
#set until time "to_date('01082002200000','mmddyyyyhh24miss')"; set until scn 316498395;
#set until logseq 1389 thread 1;
allocate auxiliary channel ch1 type disk; set newname for datafile 1 to '/u03/oradata/BSCST/system01.dbf'; set newname for datafile 2 to '/u03/oradata/BSCST/rbs01.dbf';

...yadda yadda yadda...

set newname for datafile 49 to '/u04/oradata/BSCST/bill_image_data06.dbf'; set newname for datafile 50 to '/u04/oradata/BSCST/process_data03.dbf'; duplicate target database to BSCST
logfile
group 1 ('/u03/oradata/BSCST/redo1a.log','/u04/oradata/BSCST/redo1b.log') size 2m,
group 2 ('/u03/oradata/BSCST/redo2a.log','/u04/oradata/BSCST/redo2b.log') size 2m,
group 3 ('/u03/oradata/BSCST/redo3a.log','/u04/oradata/BSCST/redo3b.log') size 2m;
}
Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com