RE: More Rman q's /SOLVED dunno how

From: <nlzanen1_at_EY.NL>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:04:19 -0800

Hi ,

I must have made a really big mess of the catalog or something.

I reinstalled the catalog, recreated TEST2 and ran the clone script again. Guess what.........?

Thx J&J

Jack

nlzanen1_at_ey.nl_at_fatcity.com on 25-01-2002 11:10:19

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Jack van Zanen/nlzanen1/External/MEY/NL)

Hi,

Am I misreading all this, but should the auxiliary database be in existence before I can Clone to it?

I created the init.ora and all directories and started TEST3 in nomount. I created the password file and can connect to it with a connect string no problem.

Another point is. Did you mean that the auxilliary database is the database that needs to be cloned (source)?

Jack

"Jay Hostetter" <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com> on 23-01-2002 15:41:35

To: <John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net>, <nlzanen1_at_EY.NL>, <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

John and Jack,

  I guess I didn't read Jack's info closely enough, since he states that his auxiliary database is already started nomount. I wonder if the three separate connect statements are the issue? When I duplicate a database, I use the following commands from the OS:

>rman target internal/xxx_at_original catalog rman/xxx_at_rman1 auxiliary /
rman>@prod_to_test
rman>exit

My ORACLE_HOME and SID are set for the auxiliary database. I have started the auxiliary database NOMOUNT, which basically just starts the background processes. Password files are required for the remote login (this is on a different server). I don't use db_file_name_convert or log_file_name_convert, because I group the data files differently on this server (I don't have the exact same number of file systems as production). After I have RMAN started, I do the following:

run {
#set until time "to_date('01082002200000','mmddyyyyhh24miss')"; set until scn 316498395;
#set until logseq 1389 thread 1;
allocate auxiliary channel ch1 type disk; set newname for datafile 1 to '/u03/oradata/BSCST/system01.dbf'; set newname for datafile 2 to '/u03/oradata/BSCST/rbs01.dbf';

...yadda yadda yadda...

set newname for datafile 49 to '/u04/oradata/BSCST/bill_image_data06.dbf'; set newname for datafile 50 to '/u04/oradata/BSCST/process_data03.dbf'; duplicate target database to BSCST
logfile
group 1 ('/u03/oradata/BSCST/redo1a.log','/u04/oradata/BSCST/redo1b.log') size 2m,
group 2 ('/u03/oradata/BSCST/redo2a.log','/u04/oradata/BSCST/redo2b.log') size 2m,
group 3 ('/u03/oradata/BSCST/redo3a.log','/u04/oradata/BSCST/redo3b.log') size 2m;
}

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications
Ephrata, PA USA

>>> John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net 01/23/02 03:20AM >>>
Jay,Jack
I don't understand here how RMAN connects to auxilliary when Jack seems to be saying that the database does not exist it all. When I tested a duplicate database session I made the following notes which indicated I need a remote_login_password file setting up. I assume you didn't do this then Jack as the database was not created at this point in time
Please correct me if I have misunderstood

John
My notes follow

+++++++++++++++++++

To allow this connection a remote_login_password file needs to be in place. This can be created running the orapwd command

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/ orapwSID password = xxxxxx entries=10

Then add the line remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive to the init.ora and start the database in exclusive mode (using the initSID_excl.ora file in the
pfile directory).
Ensure that this works by performing a sqlplus internal @tnsnames_alias with
the correct password and ensuring that a connection has been made.

This needs to be set up on the target environment as well as on the auxillary server. Ensure that a connection can be made both locally and remotely

sqlplus internal/password_at_tnsnames_alias

De informatie verzonden in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is, behoudens voorafgaande schriftelijke toestemming van Ernst & Young, niet toegestaan. Ernst & Young staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor tijdige ontvangst daarvan. Ernst & Young kan niet garanderen dat een verzonden e-mailbericht vrij is van virussen, noch dat e-mailberichten worden overgebracht zonder inbreuk of tussenkomst van onbevoegde derden.

Indien bovenstaand e-mailbericht niet aan u is gericht, verzoeken wij u vriendelijk doch dringend het e-mailbericht te retourneren aan de verzender en het origineel en eventuele kopieën te verwijderen en te vernietigen.

Ernst & Young hanteert bij de uitoefening van haar werkzaamheden algemene voorwaarden, waarin een beperking van aansprakelijkheid is opgenomen. De algemene voorwaarden worden u op verzoek kosteloos toegezonden.

The information contained in this communication is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. You should not copy, disclose or distribute this communication without the authority of Ernst & Young. Ernst & Young is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt. Ernst & Young does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return the communication to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.

In carrying out its engagements, Ernst & Young applies general terms and conditions, which contain a clause that limits its liability. A copy of these terms and conditions is available on request free of charge.

Indien bovenstaand e-mailbericht niet aan u is gericht, verzoeken wij u vriendelijk doch dringend het e-mailbericht te retourneren aan de verzender en het origineel en eventuele kopieën te verwijderen en te vernietigen.

In de Nederlandse vestigingen wordt de praktijk uitgeoefend en worden opdrachten slechts aanvaard en uitgevoerd door Holland Van Gijzen advocaten en notarissen, een maatschap van besloten vennootschappen. Een lijst van partners wordt op verzoek beschikbaar gesteld. Holland Van Gijzen advocaten en notarissen hanteert bij de uitoefening van haar werkzaamheden algemene voorwaarden, waarin een beperking van aansprakelijkheid is opgenomen. Deze voorwaarden zijn op 19 januari 2000 gedeponeerd ter griffie van de arrondissementsrechtbank te Rotterdam onder nummer 18/00 en te vinden op http://www.hollandlaw.nl/

The information contained in this communication is confidential, intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be protected by professional secrecy. You should not copy, disclose or distribute this communication without the authority of Holland Van Gijzen advocaten en notarissen. Holland Van Gijzen advocaten en notarissen is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt. Holland Van Gijzen advocaten en notarissen does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return the communication to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.

In the Netherlands offices the practice is conducted and instructions are solely accepted and carried out by Holland Van Gijzen advocaten en notarissen, a professional partnership consisting of private limited liability companies. A list of partners is available on request. In carrying out its engagements, Holland Van Gijzen advocaten en notarissen applies general terms and conditions, which contain a clause that limits its liability. These terms and conditions have been deposited with the Registrar of the Rotterdam District Court under number 18/00 on 19 January 2000 and can be found at http://www.hollandlaw.nl/

  INET: nlzanen1_at_EY.NL