RE: Backup Strategy

From: Johnston, Tim <TJohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:50:32 -0800

Hey Igor...

You might want to check out Note: 139327.1 on Metalink... Specifically the part that says...

"To backup you will need to use the utility delivered by Oracle, the ocopy command. Utilities like the NT commands copy, xcopy CANNOT be used to back up.
The Windows NT feature to be aware of is that NT Backup does not allow files in
use to be copied, so you must use the OCOPY utility that Oracle provides to copy the open database files to another disk location."

And...

"OCOPY allows writing to continue while the backup is running. The NT COPY is a
closed copy and the files may be marked either as "fuzzy" or "corrupt." Ocopy
opens the file using CreateFile() with the FILE_SHARE_READ and FILE_SHARE_WRITE
flags. This allows writing to continue while we take the backup. Inconsistencies in the backup are repaired by applying archived redo during recovery. The 'copy' command from NT doesn't use these flags since it wants to
prevent writes to the file while the copy is taking place."

HTH
Tim

Author: Igor Neyman
  INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com