Mirroring REDO logs to an nfs drive

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:11:45 -0800

Our site is preparing to fail over to our backup server. We need to do maintenance on our production server, and will be running on the backup for about 24 hours. One issue I brought up was that our backup server is not equiped with mirrored drives, thus there was the possibility that a drive failure could destroy an online redo log. On our production box the logs are not software mirrored, because of the physical mirroring in our drive cabinet.

As a result I was told to multiplex the redo logs once we had failed over to the backup server. Furthermore I would add the new members to an nfs drive, so that even a pesky controller couldn't foil our mirrored log files.

I have some questions about this. First, am I just looking for problems by doing this? I would appreciate any tips or warnings on this subject. Secondly, researching this topic made me curious as to my DB's settings for MAXLOGFILES and MAXLOGMEMBERS. Where can I find these parameters? I was sure I would find them in v$parameter, but they were not there.

Thanks for any response,
Steve McClure

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 24 2002 - 14:11:45 CST