RE: Backup/Recovery questions ...

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <Thomas.Mercadante_at_Labor.State.Ny.Us>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:45:01 -0800

Fred,

Either method works fine. You have the same amount of data editing in both methods (Either issue "alter database rename" commands, or edit the "create controlfile" file.

The other consideration is that in Rachel's method, you are simply opening the database afterword.

With the re-creation of the control file, you must (I think) "alter database open resetlogs".

A minor difference.

Whichever way you decide to do it would be fine. The end result is a ton of typing.

Something to consider is, on your production box, create disk directories based on a Unix soft link, and place your database files into these directories. This would facilitate your moving of the database in the future, as your "soft links" are at the operating system level, and can be changed more easily than issuing the "alter database" commands.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Fred Smith
  INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: Thomas.Mercadante_at_Labor.State.Ny.Us