RMAN Best Practices and Configuration Guide

From: Pat Howe <phowe_at_Illuminet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:22:25 -0800

If anyone knows of an "RMAN Best Practices and/or Configuration" document I would be interested in seeing it.

I am about to set up RMAN within our division and would be interested to know how others have configured RMAN at their shop. I know from experience that after I have implemented something for the first time - I look back and think how I "should have" implemented it. Thus I am trying to get some of this knowledge from those of you who have already been down this road. You can only get so much from reading manuals - experience is the true teacher.

Here are some guidelines that I have gleaned from my research so far. Let me know what you think of them and add to them :

Always use a separate database for your RMAN catalog. In the RMAN catalog have one schema owner per database that you are backing up. If you had two databases "PROD and DEV" then setup a RMAN-PROD and an RMAN-DEV schema owner in the RMAN catalog to manage each database's recovery info. This will help you cleanup the RMAN catalog if you ever drop database DEV.
I am leaning toward implementing my backups using 'backup sets' - I can not see the advantage of 'image copies' if you are properly backing up the RMAN catalog (required for recovery).
If you plan on routing your backups directly to tape - Set up your scripts and test your scripts by going to Disk first. ie; Don't bite off to much at a time.

I would be interested in seeing how others have configured their sites :

ie; Do you have a good TAG naming scheme ?
ie; How frequently do you Resync the RMAN Catalog ?
ie; Backup schedule : Level 0 on Sunday - Level 2 on Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri/Sat -
Level 1 on Wed ?
ie; Backup directly to tape ?
ie; Good script examples ?
etc.

Thanks in advance

 Patrick J. Howe
 Oracle DBA
 Illuminet Inc. (Carrier Division of Verisign)

Author: Pat Howe
  INET: phowe_at_Illuminet.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 22 2002 - 11:22:25 CST