RE: RE: HP vs SUN for a UNIX box

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 06:06:16 -0800

I asked one of the SA's here, and he thinks the move to HP might be political on Oracle's part.

I don't know how the HP - Compaq merger will go, that adds uncertainty. Esp. since Compaq has traditionally been an Intel supporter and they gobbled up Digital's Alpha technology.

Meanwhile Scott McNealy (Sun) was probably looking forward to a Remedy against Microsoft, which might have had an impact on Wintel (the MS - Intel alliance). That fell through when the Republicans were elected. Now Sun is dropping Solaris for Intel.

Sun and Veritas were very closely allied, I don't know how Veritas is doing compared to others, e.g. OpenStorage.

I don't know where all this is going, but my sense is that there are shifts taking place on the market.

Larry must be positioning Oracle to take advantage of whatever player will emerge as the dominant one.

Recessions have a way of scrambling everybody's plans.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 22 2002 - 08:06:16 CST