Re: OT: Yet Another Off Topic Discussion

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:03:01 -0800

Thanks Joe.

A little OT has usually been acceptable here.

Even some humor. The only time it became a problem is when it veered away from having anything to do with Oracle and oracle related work issues.

People would start posting ethnic and off color jokes, ranting about their favorite pet peeve, ad nauseum.

If you want to do that, go to the off topic list. They will welcome you with open arms. We won't even discuss how Ross and Eric may welcome you.

Jared
( list owner, baby sitter and part time DBA )

Joe Testa <teci_at_the-testas.net>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
01/21/02 05:10 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: OT: Yet Another Off Topic Discussion

Tim, i'm with you, and since Paul does not evidently know who the list owner is here since he's making waves on the very few anymore OT posts that are here anymore and that the list owner was the one talking about tribbles.

Paul, feel free to start your own list and manage it as you please.

joe

Johnston, Tim wrote:

> My own 2 cents... Stating a viewpoint such as this and then saying "do
not
on
> the list innumerable times over the years and it is always a hot bed of
> discussion... And, it always seems to reach the same conclusion... In
> summary, keep it on topic but the occasional OT post is tolerated...
> Anything more then that should not be done or moved to the OT list...
So,
> here we are yet again... And, here is MY opinion... I view this list
as a
> community... Not just a technical list... Many people on this list
have
> been on for years and enjoy to occasionally have some fun... I
personally
> enjoy the occasional joke or OT thread... It gives the list personality
and
> allows me feel like I am getting to know the other people on the list...
> That is why I am on this list and not some of the other discussion
forums...
> Some other forums operate as you desire... I avoid those... The reason
is
> that I want to enjoy my job... And the occasional laugh I get from this
> list has more then once made a miserable day better... If I wanted to
> purely technical list I would go to another forum... But I don't.... I
> like this list AS IS... And, if I feel that I am getting to much email,
the
> delete key works great...
>
> Tim

Even
> a small drop in aimless e-mails would be appreciated; 90%+ directed,
> professional queries and replies would be wonderful.
>
> Please do not reply to this e-mail; this is my one-time attempt to bring
> about a positive change.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Paul Sherman
> DBA
> voice - 781-501-4143 (office)
> fax - 781-278-8341 (office)
> email - psherman_at_elcom.com

Joe Testa, Oracle DBA
Want to have a good time with a bunch of geeks? Check out:
http://www.geekcruises.com/standard_interface/future_cruises.html
I'm presenting, when registering drop my name :)

Author: Joe Testa
  INET: teci_at_the-testas.net

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com