Re: DBA Experiences with Oracle and RAID 0+1

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:48:11 -0800

Jared,

Good thought! We're running our annual Miracle Master Class (this year with Jonathan Lewis) this week and Cary Millsap (and his gang), Jonathan and James will arrive tomorrow (Monday), while Steve Adams, Lex de Haan, Stephan Haisley and a bunch of other guys will arrive on Tuesday. I'll keep this message and throw it up for discussion on the Oak Table (see Cary's wonderful article on www.Undskyld.Org)...

Jared Still wrote:

  Mogens,In regard to the number of spindles issue: James Morle has some excellent discussion on that in 'Scaling Oracle 8i'. ( I think it's thatbook )When some of the newer larges drives are used in a given configuration,they mabe be able to outperform older drives in a similar configuration witha larger number of spindles.I say 'older' since smaller drives usually aren't using the latest technologyand the newer ones have sufficiently higher throughput to match the capability of a larger number of drives in given configuration.Food for thought, anyway.JaredOn Sunday 20 January 2002 06:50, Mogens Nørgaard wrote:

    Diego,I agree with you 100% and didn't express myself correctly in my email.The more spindles the better. What I meant to say was that you mustnever buy disks by taking your total needed amount of space and divideby the number of big disks you can get hold on :). It's the number ofIO's required by the disk system that matters, not the size...Thanks for making this clear to everyone.MogensDiego Cutrone wrote:

      Mogens: Just let me disagree with you at only one point. According to myexperience, I think that the size of the disks in an array does mattersometimes. It's not the same to have 24 9GB disks that to have only 3 of73GB. You have 24 spindles againts 3, the first option (in a wellconfigured system of course) will give you better performance inenviroments where you have a lot of concurrency and many users. However I think that what I've written above might not be correct (maybe it should be tested) if the 73GB outstands for a long way the 9GB disksin terms of seek time and transfer rate. Take a look at an extract of Gaja's paper "Implementing RAID onOracle":"5) Procure the smallest drive money can buy, keeping in mind scalability,limits of the hostmachine, the disk array and growth projections for the database. This is atough one thesedays, with 18 GB drives considered as small drives.< br>6) Bigger and faster drives are not always better than smaller slowerdrives, as the seek timesfor larger and faster drives with larger form factors, may be more thantheir smaller andslower counterparts. This is not that big of an issue, if your drivessupport a built-in trackbuffer cache for storing an entire track's worth of data from readrequest(s)."HTHGreetingDiego Cutrone----- Original Message -----To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 10:25 PM

        Jon,It's one of those "how many bags will I need in the supermarket?"questions - it depends.Consider:- RAID 1+0 is much better than 0+1.- Three disks is not much w.r.t. IO capability. If you have threeconcurrent users you'll be OK :)- Size doesn't matter (who cares if it's 10, 36 or 73 Gig disks? It'sthe IO capabilitity that counts)- I'm new to this list, so I don't know if this will work, but I'veattached a brilliant presentation by our old friend James Morle (checkout www.ScaleAbilities.com) regarding SAN, NAS and RAS (Random AcronymSeminar).- If you're only striping across three disks (is that really a SAN?)just SAME (Stripe And Mirror Everything). It might not be good, but it'ssimple.Jon Behnke wrote:

          We are in the process of setting up a SAN using RAID 0+1 for our

          database.

              In our current environment, we are able to separate our tables, indexes,rollback segments, and archive logs on different disks.  On the SAN we

              would

                  have six 73 gig disks on RAID 0+1 for a total of about 210 Gig of usablespace (3 disks worth of space).Some white papers that I have read suggest attempting to separate the

                  data,

                      indexes, and rollback segments on separate RAID volumes, and others

                      simply

                          suggest that the performance boost of striping will supercede the

                          separation

                              of these items.Can anyone offer any comments or suggestions?Jon BehnkeApplications Development ManagerIndustrial Electric Wire & CablePhone (262) 957-1147  Fax (262) 957-1647jonb_at_iewc.com

                              ----------------------------------------Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"; name="Attachment: 1"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bitContent-Description: ----------------------------------------