Re: designer6i vs. designer2000

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:29:23 -0800

My experience in going from Oracle CASE 5 to Oracle Designer 2000 made it very clear to me that character mode was much faster, at least in this case.

Using the same functionality in Designer 2000 took *much* longer in D2k than it ever did in CASE 5.

Part of this was due not to the move from Forms 3 to Forms 5 or 6, but the move away from Forms to a navigation tree that requires you to use the mouse for many operations.

e.g. Within Forms it's possible to retrieve a set of records based on criteria entered into fields in the form. This made it a fairly simple operation to retrieve all indexes in a particular tablespace and change storage parameters.

With D2k+, this is a very mousy operation, and takes at least twice as long, probably more like 3-4 times as long.

It was a consequence not so much of going to to a different environment as it was the designers decision to bow to pressure to make their product look more like other Windoze products.

At least, that's my take on it.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com