Re: DBA Experiences with Oracle and RAID 0+1

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:20:02 -0800

Mogens,

In regard to the number of spindles issue: James Morle has some excellent discussion on that in 'Scaling Oracle 8i'. ( I think it's that book )

When some of the newer larges drives are used in a given configuration, they mabe be able to outperform older drives in a similar configuration with a larger number of spindles.

I say 'older' since smaller drives usually aren't using the latest technology and the newer ones have sufficiently higher throughput to match the capability of a larger number of drives in given configuration.

Food for thought, anyway.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com