RE: HP vs SUN for a UNIX box

From: Babich , Sergey <SBabich_at_handexmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:08:29 -0800

Thanks, it is very important to me
Regards,
Serge

 -----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 4:05 PM

To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject:        RE: HP vs SUN for a UNIX box

Using both HP 11.0 and Solaris 2.8, I have a preference for HP. Just little toolset things like SAM for a GUI SysAdmin, "top" and "GlancePlus", although GlancePlus, a system monitor, I guess I would consider a huge advantage over what Sun offers.

As far as the hardware, I guess I don't have a huge preference either way. But if you do go with HP -- DO NOT GET AN AutoRAID! Biggest performance mistake we've made, IMO. Super slow writes.

Just my $.02...

Rich Jesse                              System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com                 Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI
USA -----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 12:51 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hi, dear listers,
My boss has decided to switch production to a UNIX box and now he's asking me for a recommendation between HP and SUN. I am a newbee to UNIX (to put it the softest way). I've heard people say HP is better, but need more than that...
The DB itself is about 40G on RAID (currently on Windoze 2k). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Sergey Babich

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Babich , Sergey
  INET: SBabich_at_handexmail.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 16:08:29 CST