RE: multiple extents are OK, dagnabbit!

From: Sherman, Paul R. <PSherman_at_elcom.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:38:35 -0800

Hello,

My 2 cents:

It does make a difference to reorg, esp. when done thoughtfully, with a specific goal in mind. For example, if you have a order_log table that started with first extent 1MB and next extent 1MB, and this table has grown in size to say, 10 million rows (business is good), you would have hundreds of extents, and each of those new extents took some time to extend that would have been avoided if you had started with 100MB first and 25MB next. Indexes take a far worse performance hit. You also expose yourself to other issues (fragmentation, full table scans (yuck) run slower, table drops run slower, more extent overhead, recovery time runs slower, risk of failure increases).

Thank you,

Paul Sherman
DBA
voice - 781-501-4143 (office)