RE: When should a table be partitioned?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:21:37 -0800

Cherie - I am relatively new to partitioned tables, but I have two criteria.

  1. Partition the table for performance. If you have some significant queries that will be doing full table scans (not unusual for data warehouses), then may partition so the full table scans just scan a selected partition.
  2. Partition for manageability. If the table is really large you could partition by the year or some such so that you can add a new year and remove an old year.

Another possibility is if you have many disks, even if the full table scan is going to hit the entire table, you can partition the table across several disks so that multiple disks are scanning simultaneously.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 12:21:37 CST