RE: multiple extents are OK, dagnabbit!

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:58:12 -0800

Jerry - Maybe I'm missing something here. Since you refer to them as a "client", you must have a consulting relationship with them - right? So if you rebuild the tables, you get more money - right? So you rebuild the tables, the client is happy, and you are a little wealthier - right? Or maybe you are too wealthy as it is, with more work than you can handle. Then you solicit help from others on this list to be your trusted assistant that will rebuild the tables, explaining to the client that you are overqualified for such a mundane task.

    I'm teasing you, but the older I get, the more I see that sometimes we computer folk are our own worst enemy. There is such a thing as being technically right but losing the client anyway. By the way, I totally agree with you on the multiple extents issue, but since Oracle was nice enough to post the paper "Stop Defragmenting . . " on their web site, that seems to have convinced the manager that wanted to hear something from the vendor before he would believe it. In my case I'm an employee, so it would just cut into my weekends. Good luck, but don't forget the "softer" skills. Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 20:58:12 CST