RE: multiple extents are OK, dagnabbit!

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:04:04 -0800

hit
metalink...there are things there....
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Cunningham, Gerald   [mailto:Gerald.Cunningham_at_usi.net]Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002   4:46 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   multiple extents are OK, dagnabbit!
  Hi there -

<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>
  I'm trying to
  convince a client that multiple extents for a table will not hurt their   performance. It's a PeopleSoft app, and PeopleSoft is telling them that they   need to reorg any object with greater than 10 extents (even indexes). This   Oracle 8.1.6.
<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>
  I've referenced
  the "How to Stop Defragmenting and Start Living: The Definitive Word on   Fragmentation" white paper by Bhaskar Himatsingka and Juan Loaiza of Oracle.   That didn't convince them. I tried to explain that Oracle reads BUFFERS and   not extents, etc., but that didn't work.
<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>
  I'm about to open
  a vein.
<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>
  Does anybody have
  any references that they can point me to? (Something from PeopleSoft would be   ideal, though I would be suprised if it existed.) I read a rant on somebody's   web site a while back that was really good, but alas I cannot remember his   name or URL. (I blame my kids for my failing memory).
<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>
<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>
<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>Thanks!
<FONT face=Arial

  size=2>
  -
  Jerry Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 17:04:04 CST