Re: Using RMAN

From: Sona <sona_us_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:11:28 -0800

See currently we are using Unix scripts to do our hot backups .We take the backup on disk and everynight after the disk backup we copy the backup on tape using Veritas Net Backup.
Presently we keep 2 days worth of backups on the disk and 3 days of archive logs.That means at any point in time i have the last 2 days backup on disk (just for fatster recovery so that we can aviod going to tapes in case of a failure).
Now if we start using RMAN ,we would be taking hot backups (mostly using increamental strategy) using RMAN.So for e.g. we start on say sunday taking an incremental level 0 backup on disk.RMAN only remmbers the disk backup ...right???? Note that we will also be copying the backups on tape but that will be independent of RMAN since it is not done using RMAN. Say the next 3 days of the week ,we do increamental level 1 backups .On the 3 rd day (i.e. Wednesday) i would have only Monday's and Tuesdays' backup on disk (which are the inceemental llevel 1 backups since the whole ideas is to keep last 2 days backup om disk).
So if we have a failure on Wednesday then RMAN would look for the incremental level 0 backup of Sunday on the disk but that backup is not present on the disk now.
I hope i have cleared it up enough.
Now my question is can we maintain the same policy of keeping 2 days backup on disk by using RMAN.
What kind of backup strategies do RMAN users follow? Are RMAN backups usually taken on tape directly ? Is it faster to take backups on tape rather on disk while using RMAN?

Could RMAN users share their backup/recovery strategies ,please.

TIA

> If you are using a recovery catalog then rman keeps track of everything
> there. He knows if you've been naughty, he know if you've been nice, he
> knows....OOOPS I got carried away. But when you do a restore using rman
he
> will tell you what backup sets you will need.
>
> Ruth

RMAN?

Author: Sona
  INET: sona_us_at_hotmail.com