Re: RMAN backup and restore Q?

From: <nlzanen1_at_EY.NL>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:04:51 -0800

Hi

My problem went away when I did a startup mount of the database.

I have Rman user in TEST2 just for testing purposes (same username password on target & catalog is easier with ctrl C & ctrl V)

One more question if I may.

Do you or anybody else have an example of a very complex rman command(most of the features used) and an example of cloning a database on the same host with renaming of the log& datafiles? Documentation explains a lot but is very limited in the examples and the syntax errors are easy to make.

TIA Jack

"Jay Hostetter" <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>@fatcity.com on 16-01-2002 14:10:24

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Jack van Zanen/nlzanen1/External/MEY/NL)

What version of the database are you using? My info here is based on 8.1.7.

I connect to my databases as internal to do the backups. I fire up RMAN with either one of these commands:

rman target / catalog rman/rman_at_test1 (SID must be set correctly) rman target internal/pwd_at_test2 catalog rman/rman_at_test1

I'm not sure why you have an rman user in test2, unless you set up a second catalog so that you can backup your first catalog.

To test your restore, shutdown test2 and delete all the .dbf, .log, .arc, and .ctl files. Then startup nomount the test2 database. Then try this:

rman target internal/pwd_at_test2 catalog rman/rman_at_test run {
allocate channel ch1 type disk;
restore controlfile;
alter database mount;
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;
}

If you did a hot backup, you may need your archivelog backups. This command backs up the archivelogs:

run
{
allocate channel ch1 type disk format '/bkup1/oracle/%d/arc_s%s_p%p_%t'; set limit channel ch1 kbytes=1000000; # Limit sets to 1 Gb. backup archivelog until time 'sysdate-1/24' delete input; backup archivelog from time 'sysdate-1/24'; }

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications
Ephrata, PA USA

>>> nlzanen1_at_EY.NL 01/16/02 07:25AM >>>

Hi All,

I'm in the process of figuring out the workings of RMAN and created 2 test databases.
TEST1 = catalog database
TEST2 = target database

I have created the catalogs and registered the database with the catalog.

I than mad a full backup of the database TEST2 (is in Archivelog mode) with the following syntax

**************************BACKUP****************************************
rman <<EOF
connect target rman/rman_at_test2
connect catalog rman/rman_at_test1
run {
allocate channel d1 type disk;
backup full format '/data/oracle/BACKUP/rman_%d_%t_%U.bus'  database;
}
EOF

which created the database backup OK

When I try the restore however I get ORA 19753 cannot obtain exclusive enqueue for datafile 1.

****************************RESTORE*************************************
rman <<EOF
connect target rman/rman_at_test2
connect catalog rman/rman_at_test1
run {
allocate channel d1 type disk;
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open;
}
EOF

Checking the database TEST2 showed a shared MR lock in the v$lock view on all tablespaces.

What am I doing wrong here?

TIA Jack

De informatie verzonden met dit E-mail bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Gebruik van deze informatie door anderen dan de geadresseerde is verboden. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is niet toegestaan. Ernst & Young staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden E-mail, noch voor tijdige ontvangst daarvan.

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Ernst & Young is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.
  INET: nlzanen1_at_EY.NL