Freeable memory

From: Michael Ghelli <mghelli_at_precise.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:28:30 -0800

All,
  In trying to solve some Library Cache latch contention issues, I've been stumped on the following issues:

  1. Do freeable chunks get coalesced during an ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED_POOL.
  2. If freeable chunks are freed when a session disconnects, is there a way to determine chunks per session? The idea here is better memory management through better session management.

  I've aleviated the majority of latch contention by altering the _kgl_latch_count parameter, but haven't addressed what I think is the root cause: an oversized shared pool. I've found scripts that show the amount of memory occupied by the sql area and library cache, and most if the memory is in freeable chunks. Before downsizing the shared pool, I'd like to have a better understanding of how these chunks are managed.

Regards,
  Mike G

Author: Michael Ghelli
  INET: mghelli_at_precise.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 16 2002 - 16:28:30 CST