RE: How to set DBWR_WRITE_PROCESSES in Oracle8i?

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:25:51 -0800

How long has the instance been up?

It appears that the application is trying to read the same data blocks &/or more sessions are trying to update the same data block or the free lists may need to be set properly to support concurrent INSERTs.

So, before changing anything for DBWR process, I would suggest to check the top wait events from V$SYSTEM_EVENT view. You may see high waits for 'buffer busy wait' event. If so, I would trace it further using V$SESSION_EVENT and V$SESSION_WAIT (P1, P2 values) to find out the 'hot' segment and the file. You may have to review the pctfree, freelists, extent sizes etc. to address 'buffer busy waits'.

For all you know, it could be just an application issue in scheduling the processes properly.

And to answer your question about setting DBWR_WRITE_PROCESSES(actually the parameter is DB_WRITER_PROCESSES) you may want to check out Note# 97291.1 on Metalink. It has some good information.

HTH,

Author: CC Harvest
  INET: ccharvest_at_yahoo.com

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 15 2002 - 22:25:51 CST