Re: Table partition on part of a field

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:42:18 -0800

That should not work because you have to give a value that the partition can compare against such as 1 ,2 ,3, etc to define the limits of the partition. In this case the limits would be undefined as you do not know the value in the field you are using. The only function allowed in partitioning is the to_date because it is used to convert a particular value incomming to a range value "12-01-2001"  How many 3 digit codes are you talking about? The easiest was sounds like the 2 column description and then you couls partition on the 3 digit fiels.
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us 01/15/02 01:45PM >>>
Why can't you just use substr(your_key,8,3) as the partition key?

Ruth
Author: Ruth Gramolini
  INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

Author: Ron Rogers