Re: DBA Experiences with Oracle and RAID 0+1

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 06:12:07 -0800

I assume you've read the white paper available on metalink or technet concerning the concept of striping and mirroring everything (S.A.M.E.).

There is a criticism of this configuration at ixora:

http://www.ixora.com.au/newsletter/2000_10.htm#same

Personally, I feel that the S.A.M.E. architecture is a good one for the vast majority of Oracle installations. I went this route on my new server because the administrative overhead associated with managing datafile distribution and storage allocation outweighed the impact of what could be argued to be less than optimal disk performance. My experience has been that the difference is performance has been pretty much insignificant anyway.

The number of disks in your stripe really matters when it comes to performance. When I decided to implement a SAME architecture, I configured the system with 36 drives - striped across 18 and mirrored. Do you feel that the raw I/O performance of your drive configuration is sufficient for the demands of your database? Are you being asked to meet a performance goal within the constraints of a fixed budget or are you allowed to spend what is required to meet a specific performance goal?

Glenn Stauffer

Author: Glenn Stauffer
  INET: stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu