Re: The OCP bar is being raised

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:17:15 -0800

John,

the thing that scares me about OCP is not that the technical interviews won't catch people who don't know anything. If I can't tech someone and find out that they just know what they studied for OCP, I shouldn't be doing tech interviews.

What I find disturbing is when the HR department makes the rule that unless a candidate has OCP on their resume, you can't hire them. It's the people who don't understand what is behind those initials who then make rules based on them that are worrisome.

As an example, I have a FANTASTIC associate DBA. He's smart, quick to learn, motivated to learn on his own, curious and willing to ask for help. He doesn't have OCP. He doesn't have a college degree (he's ex-military and got his computer training there).

If HR had had a policy that I could only hire someone with a college degree or someone with OCP, I would have lost one of the best assistants I've ever had.

I have OCP through 8i. I took chauncey, took the additional tests to convert it OCP7, took the two upgrades for 8 and 8i respectively. I never studied for the tests, in fact, I took them on the spur of the moment each time. I had never worked with 8 or 8i when I took those upgrades. so what does that tell you? That I take standardized tests well, and can eliminate enough choices to be able to guess the correct answer more often than not. That pretty much qualifies me for "Do You Want to Be a Millionaire" but not for Oracle work.

Do I list the OCP on my resume? Yes, because I am smart enough to know that it will open some doors. It's at the very end of a 4 page resume, so I don't know how often it actually gets seen. And that's my intention.

I am very anxious to see just what the practicum test involves. I do wish you didn't have to take additional classes before you could qualify for it, but I understand that Oracle does try to make a profit. I'd like to see them accept an "equivalent" exam from somewhere else as well. If they are going to mimic what the colleges do for higher degrees they should do it properly.

Rachel

=== message truncated ===

Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!