RE: Database & Performance Health Check - Production Site Visit

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:50:14 -0800

Vivek,

One needs to recognize that an 'external' consultant is just that - i.e. 'external', and thus has neither a full understanding of the whole environment, nor a longer term committment to the cient. Now, I am not mentioning this in a disparaging way - rather, one needs to recognize and understand this fact. This can prompt one to take quick decisions (time is $$ and the longer you hang around, the more the client pays) or recommend something that does not work in the longer term or is totally not appropriate, largely because the inputs are insufficient.

Sometimes, the problem also lies with the client - there is the supposition that an 'external' consultant is a 'guru' and has a magic wand, and problems will disappear because of implementing some suggestions made by the consultant.

To address both sides then, it is essential first of all to set a scope and target for the project, collect information, document and understand current processes and weaknesses, etc. This has to be done by the client - and you as a consultant has to provide a list of what is to be collected. This information should be collected *prior* to your visit - if not, you should visit twice : once to install information collection mechanisms, lay down what is required for you to know and get the client to do some homework, and the second time around to actually use this information to analyze the problem.

Walking blindly into a situation without complete knowledge and recommending solutions that does not fit is the bane of an 'external' consultant, and one guaranteed to halt all further visits. So do your part up front, and get the client to do his part before you go on-site. That way, you will have something to start talking about, and do not hesitate to suggest a revisit.

Again - this is not to put down 'external' consultants. I have been one myself (for too long!) and have sat on both sides of the table for more times than I can remember :)

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002