Re: The OCP bar is being raised

From: orantdba <orantdba_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:24:13 -0800

Hi Rachel,

Now we are to the point,  is it valuable?  I say yes and I have studied for and
passed the ocp for 7, upgraded to 8 and to 8i and will soon take the 9i upgrade test.  I also hold the Oracle 7 certification that was offered by Chauncey before
the Oracle came out with the OCP.  Others say it is not.  It is their dollar, and
they can spend it as they wish.

Ultimately the market decides value,  I don't believe that any sane manager of DBA's
would hire someone just because they are ocp's.  Managers would tend to value relevant experience, the interview process, and degrees well before looking at ocp's.

So why do I think it is important?  The first person who sees your resume is usually
in the HR department.  They cannot hire you but they can file your resume in the
circular file.  Cute little designations like OCA, OCP, OCM, MCP, MCSE, CNE, etc
help get you past those people and on to the people who can actually understand you
when you talke about performing block dumps and interrogating the itl.  Those people
can say yes and will because of my experience and interview presence.  They will
probably not care one bit about the cute little designations, but it is irrevelant if I don't
get to talk to them.

I have had the discussion at oow, etc with more than a few people (perhaps even you)
asking if you had two candidates with exactly the same criterias but one had OCP and
one didn't which would you hire?  This is a little like the "If god is all powerful can he make
a rock so big that he himself cannot pick it up" question.  In the case described above I would
probably go to things like "Which is cheaper?",  "Which had experience that most matched my
project?",  " Which had the best personality match for my group?".  I don't think OCP would
make that much of a difference.

John

wisernet100_at_yahoo.com wrote:

  John,I have no objection to Oracle trying to make money (heck, I own stock,I WANT and expect them to make money!)The problem is not that they are trying to make money, but that this isbecoming something you HAVE to do/have to get a job working withOracle. And they haven't convinced me of the value of that piece ofpaper. I know way too many certified DBAs who I wouldn't trust to evenquery my databases.Rachel--- orantdba <orantdba_at_netscape.net> wrote:

    Hmmm,Imagine that, a publicly traded company that it trying to makemoney, I am shockeddismayed, I don't believe I will be able to sleep tonight. Chris, could you provide me with the list of companies that are not trying to make money?I want to make sure that I don't go to work for them, or learn their products.John :-)Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com wrote:

      I'd say the cost is being raised.  Look at the requirements for

      each.

        You can't just take the OCM exam.  No we would first have to get

        the

          OCA.  Whether or not we need the entry level cert we have to have

          it.

            Then, and only then, can we take the OCP.  Then and only then, can

            we

              take the OCM and that is after we take these REQUIRED classes from Oracle Ed.  So someone the caliber of Steve Adams or Jared Still,

              has

                to spend money in a class that they could probably teach from

                memory

                  before they can get certification and that is after getting 2 other

                    certs that have no value to them.  Call me a cynic, but to me, this

                    is

                      nothing but a money grab.From the website:--To become an Oracle Associate, you must pass the exams required-- for the Oracle Associate level of your selected job role.

                      Typically,

                        --two exams are required; the first one can be taken via the

                        Internet,

                          --while subsequent exams must be taken in a proctored environment.

                          By

                            --completing your Oracle Associate, you are half-way toward

                            achieving the

                              -- Oracle Certified Professional credential.--To become an Oracle Certified Professional, you must pass all required exams--in your selected job role, including those at the Associate

                              level.

                                --To become an Oracle Certified Master, you must first be an Oracle--Certified Professional. Additionally, achieving your OCM

                                credential

                                  --requires attending two advanced level Oracle University courses

                                  from

                                    --the list shown on this page as well as passing the OCM Practicum

                                    exam.

                                      --Chris-----Original Message-----From: dgoulet_at_vicr.com [ mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com ]Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 9:16 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: The OCP bar is being raisedAnyone care to comment on the following, IMHO it's about time:

                                          ---Introducing two new levels of Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) Achievement A recent *IDC report on IT Education and Training Services quoted

                                          database

                                            professionals and network engineers as the fastest-growing areas of

                                              ProfessionalCertification. And in an October survey from *crn.com on Certification, 58% ofrespondents said that it is very difficult to find qualified Oracle

                                                CertifiedProfessionals-Database Administrators.To meet this demand, we have recently introduced two new levels of professionalachievement to DBAs (and soon to be released to Application and

                                                Java

                                                  Developersworldwide):The Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) -- an entry-level Oracle qualificationrequiring successful completion of two exams.The Oracle Certified Master (OCM) -- an advanced qualification for

                                                  Oracle

                                                    Certified Professionals (OCP), that requires students to take a practicum examon-sitee at an Oracle University education center.Visit

                                                    http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/news/index.html?certlevels.html

                                                        for more informationIDC, IT Education and Training, Sept 2001crn.com, Certification: What's Hot, What's Not, Oct 2001

                                                            ------- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:  INET: dgoulet@vicr.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing

                                                            Lists

                                                              To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like

                                                              subscribing).