Re: The OCP bar is being raised

From: orantdba <orantdba_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:21:41 -0800

I'm thinking of changing my handle to obviousman?

rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us wrote:

  Should we parse you handle, O,rant, DBA. That's it! R----- Original Message -----To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 11:03 AM

    Hi all,The oca exams are the same exams you would take on the way to being anOCP under the current program. The only difference is along the way youcan get a designation of OCA. Not unlike Microsofts MCP.JohnChris.Bowes_at_kosa.com wrote:

      From the website:--To become an Oracle Certified Professional, you must pass allrequired exams--in your selected job role, including those at the Associate level.The way I read that, you have to have the OCA exams before you can getthe OCP.  So if you take and pass the OCP, until you pay for and passthe OCA, you cannot get the OCP certificat and recognition and youcannot even take the OCM.--Chris    -----Original Message-----    From: SARKAR, Samir [mailto:Samir.SARKAR_at_nottingham.sema.slb.com]    Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 10:28 AM    To: 'ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com'    Cc: 'Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com'    Subject: RE: The OCP bar is b
eing raised    Chris,    Am not clear on  this. To b an OCP, we require to pass 5    exams....right ?? So, if we get the    OCP Associate after passing 2 exams, we need to pass only another    3 exams for getting OCP    or do we have to go through all the 5 exams all over again ??    I think we can directly sit for the OCP tests though instead of    going through the OCA. But to get the    OCP Master, we will necessarily have to b a OCP.    Do correct me if I am wrong though.    Regards,    Samir    Samir Sarkar    Oracle DBA - Lennon Team    Schlumberger Sema    Email :  samir.sarkar_at_nottingham.sema.slb.com                samir.sarkar_at_sema.co.uk    Phone : +44
 (0) 115 - 95 76217    EPABX : +44 (0) 115 - 957 6418 Ext. 76217    Fax : +44 (0) 115 - 957 6018        -----Original Message-----        From: Bowes, Chris [mailto:Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com]        Sent: 10 January 2002 15:05        To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L        Subject: RE: The OCP bar is being raised        I'd say the cost is being raised.  Look at the requirements        for each.  You can't just take the OCM exam.  No we would        first have to get the OCA.  Whether or not we need the entry        level cert we have to have it.  Then, and only then, can we        take the OCP.  Then and only then, can we take the OCM and        that is after we take these REQUIRED classes from Oracle Ed.        So someone the caliber of Steve Adams or Jared Still, has to        spend money in a class that they could probably teach fr
om        memory before they can get certification and that is after        getting 2 other certs that have no value to them.  Call me a        cynic, but to me, this is nothing but a money grab.        From the website:        --To become an Oracle Associate, you must pass the exams

      required

                  -- for the Oracle Associate level of your selected job role.        Typically,        --two exams are required; the first one can be taken via the        Internet,        --while subsequent exams must be taken in a proctored        environment. By        --completing your Oracle Associate, you are half-way toward        achieving the        -- Oracle Certified Professional credential.        --To become an Oracle Certified Professional, you must pass        all required exams        --in your selected job role, including those at the Associate        level.        --To become an Oracle Certified Master, you must first be an        Oracle        --Certified Professional. Additionally, achieving your OCM        credential        --requires attending two advanced level Oracle University        courses from        --the list shown on this page as well as pas
sing the OCM        Practicum exam.        --Chris        -----Original Message-----        From: dgoulet_at_vicr.com [ mailto:dgoulet_at_vicr.com ]        Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 9:16 AM        To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L        Subject: The OCP bar is being raised        Anyone care to comment on the following, IMHO it's about time:

                      ---        Introducing two new levels of Oracle Certified Professional        (OCP) Achievement        A recent *IDC report on IT Education and Training Services        quoted database        professionals and network engineers as the fastest-growing        areas of Professional        Certification. And in an October survey from *crn.com on        Certification, 58% of        respondents said that it is very difficult to find qualified        Oracle Certified        Professionals-Database Administrators.        To meet this demand, we have recently introduced two new        levels of professional        achievement to DBAs (and soon to be released to Application        and Java Developers        worldwide):        The Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) -- an entry-level Oracle        qualification        requiring successful completion of two exams.
      The Oracle Certified Master (OCM) -- an advanced qualification        for Oracle        Certified Professionals (OCP), that requires students to take        a practicum exam        on-sitee at an Oracle University education center.        Visit

              http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/news/index.html?certlevels.html

                          for more information        IDC, IT Education and Training, Sept 2001        crn.com, Certification: What's Hot, What's Not, Oct 2001

                              -----        --        Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com        --        Author:          INET: dgoulet@vicr.com        Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)        538-5051        San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /        Mailing Lists

                          message

                                      to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru')        and in        the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L        (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).        You may        also send the HELP command for other information (like        subscribing).

                                      This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the    individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions    presented are    solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of    SchlumbergerSema.    If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have    received this    email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,    printing, or    copying of this email is strictly prohibited.    If you have received this email in error please notify the    SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.