RE: Database Comparison

From: C.S.Venkata Subramanian <csvenkata_at_lycos.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:49:37 -0800

Hi Boivin and Fellow Listers,
I have been using Oracle change manager to compare the two diff databases and 2 diff schemas for quite some time. Basically I use it compare prodcution and development and test databases/schema.The initial setup is little bit tedious. First a repository has to be created in a seperate machine, and then using the discovery wizard we have to discover the nodes. We must make sure that Oracle agent is up and running in the target m/c. After that we have to launch the console and to be frank with you I have not got into the small details of display, but I feel this tool is quite easier.

The major hurdle I faced is when applying the changes of one schema to another. Change manager will generate the change scripts, this is generated in TCL/TK. So one must be familiar with these also. Also if any errors are encountered this scripts halts and also this script deletes any data and referential integrity constraints.

So I generate the required reports and do the changes manually either in SQL*Plus. I also keep a log while doing the changes.

Best Regards
Venkat

--

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: C.S.Venkata Subramanian INET: csvenkata_at_lycos.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).