RE: replication

From: Nick Wagner <Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:25:42 -0800

uh oh...  with that said, I guess I better jump in.

and follow suit with your format...

SharePlex for Oracle by Quest Software
(www.quest.com/shareplex)

Pros: Extremely fast (50+GB of data per day)         Low overhead (3-7% overall.)
        Messages are applied via standard SQL on the target, so target database(s) are completely open and available. Additional indexes can be made to the reporting instance to speed up reports.

        Can replicate most datatypes (longs, long raw, LOB's, varchar, char, date, numbers, etc...)
        Tables do not need PK or UK's.
        peer to peer replication possible for load balancing
        installation in 20 minutes, and can be replicating tables 5 minutes after that. (Implementation into production will take longer... 3-10 days depending on environment)

        can replicate sequences for HA/DR

cons: cost (as John points out)

        does not replicate all DDL (i.e. users, packages, procedures)
        no transformation or ETL capabilities (this is coming end of Q1)
        replicates entire table only (logical partitioning of data is also coming end of Q1)

If you would like more information about it, please send me an email, and I can answer any questions you have.

Nick

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists