Re: Veritas Quick IO & Oracle Performance

From: Brian Haas <bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:47:22 -0800

Ed,

I would be interested in getting a copy of your test scripts to try it out on our setup. Solaris 8, veritas DBed 2.2 and Oracle 8.1.7.

Our performance has increased since switching to quick io, but that also included a major application overhaul, and new disk layout and an upgrade to 8.1.7.

Of course numerous factors come into play with these tests: Disk layout,whether the tables are analyzed, how the sql looked,hardware...etc.

As far as issues with quickio, some that I can think of are to make sure to size your datafiles properly because auto-extend doesn't work(if you use the whole file). And There are some gotchas if you use RMAN for backups (I don't,tar works fine for quickio files). So far, no problems here.

-Brian

Author: Brian Haas
  INET: bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com