Re: The OCP bar is being raised

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:43:31 -0800

Dick,
 I see value in the addition of the two levels of
certification.
 With the addition of the OCA certification it will allow
"junior" DBA's to start on the read to successful certification. Learning and understanding the basics of SQL and ADMIN should be promoted, displayed, and rewarded. It is akin to the Associates Degree that is usually acquired before the B.S. and continuing education towards the Ph.D.
 The addition of the OCM is a way to promote yourself as
a seasoned professional that has taken the time to learn the ins and outs of the database and can be a valuable asset to a company. The new levels of certification will allow the employer to search for employees with at least a minimum certification requirement.
 I know that there are a LOT of professionals working as
DBA's, and participate on this list, that are very good and OCM qualified but have not decided to become an OCP. Their reasons are their own and  I look proudly upon their achievements and ethics.

On the other hand... With the ability to take 2 tests and get an OCA , 5 test to get an OCP, and take 2 additional courses plus a practicum exam and you are a OCM. The requirements list that you take the courses at the Oracle training centers. Sounds like a way to keep the Oracle training centers alive. The one in Atlanta is a ghost town compared to 5 years ago.
 Thanks for the update info.

Ron
ROR mª¿ªm
>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 01/10/02 09:15AM
>>>Anyone care to comment on the following, IMHO it's about

two new levels of Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) Achievement A recent *IDC report on IT Education and Training Services quoted databaseprofessionals and network engineers as the fastest-growing areas of ProfessionalCertification. And in an October survey from *crn.com on Certification, 58% ofrespondents said that it is very difficult to find qualified Oracle CertifiedProfessionals-Database Administrators. To meet this demand, we have recently introduced two new levels of professionalachievement to DBAs (and soon to be released to Application and Java Developersworldwide): The Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) -- an entry-level Oracle qualificationrequiring successful completion of two exams.The Oracle Certified Master (OCM) -- an advanced qualification for OracleCertified Professionals (OCP), that requires students to take a practicum examon-sitee at an Oracle University education center. Visit<A
href="http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/news/index.html?certlevels.html">http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/news/index.html?certlevels.htmlfor more informationIDC, IT Education and Training, Sept 2001crn.com, Certification: What's Hot, What's Not, Oct
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:
  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.comFat City Network
Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 09:43:31 CST