RE: US7ASCII, UTF8, characters sets, conversions.....agghhhhHH!!!

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:39:27 -0800

Chris,

We have started using UTF8 on our new databases as a standard.

All of our old, existing databases use US7ASCII.

We need to convert a couple of existing databases such as our 200Gig data warehouse from US7ASCII to UTF8.

I am concerned about conversion problems. I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully converted from US7ASCII to UTF8 but got no response.

I've searched on Metalink for the topic and didn't find much. If you get any responses, could you forward them on to me or post to the list.

Thanks much,

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

                    "Grabowy,

                    Chris"               To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <cgrabowy_at_fcg.       cc:

                    com>                 Subject:     RE: US7ASCII, UTF8, characters
sets,
                    Sent by:              conversions.....agghhhhHH!!!

                    root_at_fatcity.c

                    om

                    01/10/02 07:35

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Ok, so to get a better feel for what's going on, is everyone still using US7ASCII?? Have sites started switching over to UTF8?? Have there been any
conversion problems?? Do the websites(like Amazon, Yahoo, B&N, etc) that have an Oracle backend enforce UTF8 as a standard, so that they can store any type of character that a user enters???

Author: Grabowy, Chris
  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

Author: Grabowy, Chris
  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 08:39:27 CST