Re: Recovery scenario query

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:25:51 -0800

"O'Neill, Sean" wrote:

> We perform disk-to-disk offline backups on a nighlty basis. Database is
> running in archived log mode. Due to space contraints (don't ask =:-[ ) we
> are currently forced to backup only some of the data files. The data files
> excluded belong to specific schema owners and are not being updated, or so
> I'm informed =:-0. I'm trying to get my head around what the recovery
> implications are if some of the data files not backed up have being updated
> and a recovery is required?. I expect it depends on what the recovery
> scenario is. So whats worst case scenario and what would my options, if any
> be?.
>
> Oracle 7.3.3, 8.0.5, 8.1.7
> NT4, W2K
> -------------------------
> Seán O' Neill
> Organon (Ireland) Ltd.
> [subscribed: digest mode]

Sean,

   I am afraid that if you do not backup ALL of your databases you are heading for a lot of trouble. Even if datafiles are not updated (and you seem, quite justifiably, to doubt it) I would be surprised if datafile header blocks where not updated at one time or another - eg shutdown or startup (check file dates, it can give a good clue). Which means that Oracle will flatly refuse to open the database when you try to do it with a mix of recently backed-up files and the associated archived redo logs, plus very old 'not updated' datafiles - without the archived redo logs to fill the gap. You will probably be able to open the database by dropping the tablespaces for which you only have old data. In other words, be ready to bid farewell to the data you do not backup (I suggest you export it ASAP). IMHO, your situation may not be as bad as it may look according to the books, but you are doing tight-rope dancing with a safety net full of gaping holes, and even if you manage to avoid the fatal plunge when you have a problem, it will not be easy and may take some time before you have a database looking remotely to what it was before the problem up and running.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Ltd