RE: TEMPORARY TABLES

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:17:19 -0800

Peter,

The tables are "permanent" but the data within them is temporary - the data life is either until you commit or until you logoff depending upon the option chosen when you create the table.

This is initially confusing as it is different to how (say) Rdb handles temporary tables.

Somewhat related, if you look at locks, you will see locks held on these tables until you either commit (for on commit delete) or until you truncate the table (for on commit preserve).

HTH,
Bruce Reardon