Re: Clone a database

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:37:01 -0800

I have test system (pandora) with the EXACT same disk layout as my production box. I run the SQL below which generates a shell script. While the DB is down for cold backups, I have the operator run clone-db.ksh; which takes less time to complete than the backups.

Once it completes I just start the cloned DB on pandora.

HTH &YMMV! set pages 0 feedback off lines 255
spool clone-db.ksh
select 'rcp ' || RPAD(file_name,64) || ' pandora:' || file_name || ' &' from dba_data_files
union
select 'rcp ' || RPAD(name,64) || ' pandora:' || name || ' &' from v$controlfile
union
select 'rcp ' || RPAD(member,64) || ' pandora:' || member || ' &' from v$logfile; spool off

Rachel Carmichael wrote:

> easier perhaps only if you have the exact same disk layouts and space
> available.
>
> and certainly MUCH more time to create -- an import takes anywhere from
> 2-4 times as long as the export did.
>
> --- "Babich , Sergey" <SBabich_at_handexmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, Beatriz,
> > If you want to create an identical copy of your production (that's my
> > understanding), it is a lot easier to export it (FULL=Y) and then
> > import the
> > dump file into your new database. Let me know if you need more info.
> > Regards,
> > Sergey Babich, Oracle DBA

Charlie Mengler                       Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                      6041 Scripps Summit Ct.
858-831-2229                          San Diego, CA 92131
I'm as busy as a one armed wall paper hanger!
Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com