RE: DBA's are Duhvelopers Too!!! - was Centralized Alert Log

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:52:25 -0800

Regarding alert log monitor...I have been using a highly adapted version of Connor McDonald's, uses the dd command to clip off new sections of the alert log. Here are a few of the features of my script.

Regarding RRD tool...I integrated my performance charting software with MRTG (www.mrtg.org) some time back. It is a lot easier to use than RRD. Currently I just use an access database to see my charts and print them to nice pretty reports. I perform the same type of aggregation series at RRD and MRTG so I can easily keep a year's worth of performance metrics in a small amount of space. I will be re-integrating with MRTG so the client can see the charts a bit easier in a bit.

Regarding the general concept of developing new tools...good luck...the idea is good, why don't we take the best ideas and apply them to one or two good solutions that will work for everyone. My experience is that the guy with the idea will end up doing 99.9% of the work and fizzle out at 80% of the project. Would be best to start really small and focused and see what happens.

Jared...Thanks for the DBI message board links, my friend found the solution to his trouble there.

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net