RE: Oracle Future???

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 07:27:28 -0800

Cross
education is always a benefit - in moderation. What I mean to say is that you will be far more marketable with knowledge of multiple relational databases, but it may be more beneficial for you to have more of a focus on the market leading RDBMS - Oracle. The below comments seem to be a little over the top for my liking - I *DON'T* see Oracle only having 5% of the market share in the near future, as quite frankly the rest of the databases out there simply are not up to to scratch in terms of there data processing and storage capabilities in large multi-user environments.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Oracle
doesn't even really see MSSQL as a major competitor - they view DB2 as their evil enemy!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>HTH
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Mark
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Oracle
& SQLServer database mop and bucket man. (OSDMBM)

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Denham EvaSent: 08   January 2002 14:25To: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: Oracle Future???
  Hi Folks,
  Wonder if anyone would like to comment, my   MSSQL DBA sent me a couple of emails from a MSSQL mailing list, they were   discussing the future of MSSQL.
  Some of the comments included comments   about our DB - Oracle. I've added
  two here...
  ...With Hyperion been seriously challenged   and overrun by Analysis Services, oracle will completely die out as they   integrate their current offering into Oracle9i. ....   ...Oracle will become another Apple: 5%   market share. ...
  Do you guys agree? Is Oracle doing anything   about the very serious threat that MSSQL is placing on their market share?

  No, plans of changing personally, but   wondering if cross education won't be beneficial:)   Regards <FONT face="Courier New"
  size=2>Denham

  This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by   MailMarshal - For more information
  please visit <A
  href="http://www.marshalsoftware.com">www.marshalsoftware.com       Received on Tue Jan 08 2002 - 09:27:28 CST