Re: Centralized Alert Log Monitoring

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 06:45:32 -0800

I'm working on a complete monitoring system written in Python. I made a list of all the things I want to check for and am working my way through the list as I find time. I chose Python because I really enjoy programming in the language and find that it does everything I need with few issues. I chose this project to work on because I needed to improve our system of db monitoring here and found the commercial products lacking and/or just too expensive to justify. Having a project which allows me to hone my Python programming skills is also nice. Eventually, I may bring the various scripts together to update a central server where a web interface will show immediately the condition of the various systems. That combined with email alerts would meet most if not all my needs.

Right now, I have several utilities written which email warnings about potential database problems.

One utility scans all the alert logs for the database instances on the server. Every 15 minutes, it checks the file mod time against the current time. If the file changed within the last 15 minutes, I open the file and readlines checking the timestamp tags in the file. When it find the tag from the latest entry, it writes that line and the remainder of the alert log file to a mail message which gets sent to me.

I had a daemon process running that looked for changes in the file size, but I didn't have a good mechanism for guaranteeing that the daemon was always running other than using a cron job to check and restart it if necessary. In which case I had to have logic to correctly pick up where it last quit. That proved too much trouble, so I decided to set it up to run as a cron job and thought file mod times gave me the best way to check for changes. Something tells me that the timestamp in the file may not get updated for every alert log update, so I may have to work on another way for parsing the file to find the latest entries.

Another utility program scans the dump directories looking for new files. When one is found, email gets sent to me with the file name and the first 25 lines of the file.

Glenn Stauffer

Author: Glenn Stauffer
  INET: stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 08 2002 - 08:45:32 CST