RE: cannot update or edit in a view -- question

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:22:44 -0800

Well,
I am not sure how to evaluate this problem now.  First to answer Nick, we are using Oracle Forms 6i.  Then I should report that I cannot duplicate the error when logged in as the user.  As such I am letting someone else verify that the user can duplicate the error, and until then I am considering this unrelated to yesterday's conversion.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
So
Thank you for any replies so far, but I would now say that this is a non issue for now.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Thanks
again,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
Steve
McClure

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Nick WagnerSent:   Monday, January 07, 2002 12:42 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: cannot update or edit in a view --   question
  What is the front end?  I've seen cases in Delphi and VB   where the user tries to modify a field in a grid, but the underlying query is   a view... Oracle interprets it as someone trying to modify a field and reports   the error.  It may be something as simple as removing the 'editing'   capability from that particular gui screen.     Nick
  -----Original Message----- From: Steve   McClure [<A
  href="mailto:smcclure_at_usscript.com">mailto:smcclure_at_usscript.com]   Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 12:11 PM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: cannot update or edit in a view -- question   Hello all, Last night I migrated our
  last production database from 7.3.4 to 8i.  Things <FONT   size=2>have gone quite well so far, but I have just been notified that some of   our clients are receiving the above error while trying   to issue  updates.
  My initial queries into this haven't been very fruitful, so I   am taking the time to tap into your knowledge while I   keep digging.  To briefly state the <FONT   size=2>problem.  We have business clients that have remote access to our   database. We use views to limit their access to   records that are directly related to their individual   organizations.  Today, after the 8i conversion they are <FONT   size=2>receiving the "Cannot update or edit from a view" error message.    I haven't gotten the error number yet.  In fact   that is my next step. If I can identify the exact   error message, perhaps I can rtfm.
  Thanks in advance for any responses.
  Steve McClure Duhveloper slowly
  evolving into a DBA